Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Focus Pocus, Drink More Mochas


















Normally, part of my Saturday morning routine is a Target run to pick up all the requisite supplies - and I actually sort of enjoy this part of my weekend. Being an insomniac, I'm usually up between 4-5:00am - so I'm insanely grateful that Target opens its doors at 8:00am because, by that time, I am bouncing off the walls for something to do. Tony is usually still asleep, despite all the non-ambient noise I've attempted - and, by this time, I've had enough of his show-boating his sleeping mojo. So, my little excursions are a bit of a haven. Except...recently...

I was exiting after acquiring the needed provisions and I looked toward my car - to pre-strategize whether the provisions should go in the cargo area or side door. I noticed a woman putting her stuff away in her cargo area - she finished, then proceeded to very intentionally place her shopping cart - now that she was done with it - directly behind my car, as in - directly! Now, at first, I made sure I was awake - and indeed I was. Next, I quickly glanced around to look for hidden cameras or whatever - maybe that show "Boiling Point" was about to nail me big time. Nope.

Keep in mind, the cart keeper (place where you put your cart once you're finished) is literally 10 feet away. SO, as I'm now within speaking distance, I say "Um, are you planning on leaving that cart behind my car?" as I'm now laughing a bit - from sheer disbelief. And she looks at me with disdain, looks at the cart, and says "Yes, I am". So, I put my stuff away, put my cart away, and wait for her to get in her Mercedes, and start her car. Then I go to move HER cart. GUESS WHERE I MOVED IT?

Well, needless to say, that little ninnyhammer really chapped my ass - and sometimes, I let incidences like that ruin my whole day - because then I begin to lose faith in the entire human race BECAUSE OF A SHOPPING CART, PEOPLE. My entire focus can move from satisfying-provisional-shopping-experience to catastrophic-suspicion-of-permanent-loss-of-any-trace-of-humanity, all due to a shift of cart. Little did I know a cart was such an equalizer.

So, what did I do? Well, I fought fire with fire, of course - I found a worthy equalizer. I went immediately to the nearest Starbucks and ordered a Mocha, heavy chocolate. The chocolate changed my focus on contact and no one cut in line, it was like I was at Saintbucks. Ahhhhh. All was right in my world again.

Plus, I could grab a whole bunch of FREE sugar packets on my way out - which I could then pour into a certain gas tank. Oh, the humanity!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I completely know these feelings! What is wrong with people these days??

You did the right thing.

I popped over to drool over those brownies again but also to tell you to vote for the Cutest Pet Contest (Marcel) and have all your best buds vote, too.

Blessings!
Lacy

hungryandfrozen said...

Ohhh it's so easy to let one thing ruin your day. I'm not saying this in a finger-wagging way but in comiseration - I do it all the time. The lady sounds like a right bitch. Oh and I always steal the sugar packets from Starbucks, on principle. My partner works there so if you're ever in Wellington, NZ, there is a free Mocha with your name on it ;)

NV said...

That is ONE of my pet peeves: Able-bodied people who can't make their a**es return carts.

What a rude cow! You handled it perfectly. :-)

Ann said...

Lacy - I'm comin' over to your blog after I wipe your drool off of the brownies over here! :)

Laura - LOL, would love to see in NZ for a mocha and some free sugar!

NV - sigh...I know! Man my blood was a-boilin'!

Anonymous said...

Once again, I'm rolling on the floor. Thanks for cheering up my day.

Anonymous said...

OMG. I run into people like this all the time these days and they do ruin my days at times. Rude. I can't imagine every doing that. Somehow, you made it funny though. Gotta love the mocha.

Anonymous said...

When you wonder what is up with bad attitude kids in the schools you only have to look as far as their parents! Sorry that you had to deal with one of the many jerks out there.

btw, I posted a pic of the brownies and linked to you. Hope you get some of my awesome readers coming your way!

Ann said...

Kelsey - You're very welcome. :)

Sonja - I'm convinced mocha may be prozac in disguise.

Kspin - wow, you are so right. Forgot to mention - she had a SON in the car - nice example huh?

Anonymous said...

She has spawned??? Oh gawd no. Why??


-Lacy

Ann said...

Lacy - EXACTLY! Can you believe she did that in front of a child? It's like "here child, let me teach you complete selfishness..."

Marie Louise said...

All I can say is, PEOPLE ARE NUTS!
Don't try to figure them out - it'll make you nuts.

Anonymous said...

LOL, well I know you didn't really put sugar in the tank, but I really love thinking that you did. Like the other commenter said, a NUT.

Anonymous said...

If it were me, I think I might have parked my CAR behind her car for awhile, then phoned someone on my cell and waited until the woman asked "are you going to sit there and talk on the phone?" and I would have said "Yes, I am".

Anonymous said...

Non-ambient noise, poor hubby, lol! I love that photo, did you take that or is it a stock photo? It looks so early morning-light.

Anonymous said...

mmmm..does that look good or what? i really want a good cuppa now. probably will run to starbucks tomorrow haha.

Ann said...

RS - Okay, you're right, but it was fun thinkin' 'bout it...

The Mick - You clearly have a genius IQ and should have been with me at the time. :)

Anon - I did take that photo - yesterday at 5:00am in the morning! Which is why it looks so sleepy...

Diva - Wish I could join you. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann... this is Claudia from ransomsoul.com - you've been e-mailing back and forth with my hubby Jason... but I needed to tell you: you've got something here... saliva-inducing pics & suuuuper-funny stories.... love it!!! We put your link on our blog as one of our favs and I've been telling my friends to check you out!!! Just one request: next baking session just put a couple of pieces of the scrumptiousness in an envelope and FedEx to us!!! With four kids I am more of a microwaver than a baker and poor Jason has to hit Marie Callenders to get a piece of pie!!! YUCK!!!
Here's wishing you don't break anything else today... take care, Claudia@ransomsoul.com

Ann said...

Claudia - LOL, I wish I could bring you a dessert right now! Your hubby was so gracious in helping me track down a designer, very kind indeed. I bet that pie was de-lish nonetheless - but I sure would bring you a big plate o' brownies if I could! :)

Anonymous said...

Flat out - the best brownies ever but still doesn't beat the Lava Cakes or Red Velet!

She probably wouldn't do the sugar trick but has been spotted while armed with a banana in the local parking lot lately..

Unfortunately, the non-ambient noise does work...arghh..I simply keep my eyes closed and count the ways in which I will keep her up at nite! But even the counting doesn't help me get back to sleep.

-The tired hubby

Tootsie Farklepants said...

"ninnyhammer"...awesome! And that lady? WOW. I cannot even imagine being that much of a bitch.

Ann said...

Anon HUBBY - Get your own blog, dude! OMG, total spam by the hub! Clearly, gotta get my household under control over here! Appalling.

Anonymous said...

Had a comment in mind, then got in here and saw the hubby had invaded and was laughing so hard, that I forgot everything I wanted to say. Thanks for the laugh. And TAKE BACK the pants!

Ann said...

Tootsie - You farkle, you. And, I know, can you believe her?

Melissa - lol, going to have to totally suspend his computer access or figure out how to ban him altogether. Taking back the pants!!

Hannah said...

I just gotta say... my BIGGEST pet peeve is when people don't put their carts in the corral. Seriously, wtf?

Ann said...

Hannah - totally agree, then to leave it behind my car so I can't back up? Oh my. Priceless.

Anonymous said...

I believe I might have strategically placed a key within a certain closeness of the finish of someone's Mercedes, and then as she backed away and heard the scraping noise, waved my hand all princess style and say, "Have a lovely day!"

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Oh no she did not!

I don't know if I can come back again--I may short out my keyboard by drooling on it.

Anonymous said...

Just noticed this post, and though it's late, I had to tag on. I live in the (way out) burbs of Denver, and one afternoon at our neighborhood grocery I saw a lady cross the parking lot with her cart to her SUV parked in the first handicapped spot, unload her bags, and then with a hearty shove she sent her cart flying across the lane to another row of parked cars. She then jumped into her vehicle and raced off. I took the opportunity to point a few things out to my kids. It's a peeve of mine I admit, but I ALWAYS put my cart away. I think we Americans are lazy and overweight enough already, and I don't think it takes herculean effort to put a cart into a cart return. But the gal that day certainly took it one step further (or maybe two, if you count the illegal parking). Do you ever have a self-indulgent moment where you picture someone, like the one you got to interact with, being swallowed up by the very cart they were mistreating? Or am I just mentally ill?

Ann said...

Oh Lori - I'm surprised you didn't tackle that woman on the SPOT. Just wow. And if you're mentally ill - then me TOO.