Saturday, April 12, 2008

Clafoutis, Obsessing About Obsessing
















Do you ever think about things over and over and over again? No? Oh.
Me neither.

With that (not) in mind, I didn't see this a few weeks ago - this being a Clafoutis; I didn't see that picture in my head every day since, I didn't wonder what it tasted like, I didn't think about it's possible texture, I didn't wonder if it was moist, I didn't contemplate its level of sweetness, I didn't consider whether it might be more muffin-like or cake-like or other-worldly-like. I didn't think about the fact that it almost looked like cheese, like sweet cheese, but not like cheesecake. I didn't research the Clafoutis (cla-foo-tee) to find out just what in damnation I've been missing all these decades. I didn't think about it, really, from say...oh...March 26th until now. Nooooooooooooo, not me.

And then, nearly daily, I turn to those who know and love me and exclaim, all bewilderment - "WHY can't I sleep at night??!! WHY?" --- Indeed.















On one hand, this blog calms me because it has unclogged my creative artery - through writing, photography, cooking, reading, networking, learning - and has become an outlet for a bolus of previously stuck gunk. On the other hand -
this unleashed inner blogstress energy is proving rather difficult to harness. Long-favored, but forever under-utilized, WORDS pouring forth from the netherfolds of my dormant brain - causing exponential increase in already ridiculous usage of post-it notes - notes stuffed everywhere containing words, phrases, recipes, ideas, concepts, food inspirations, food memories - waking up in the middle of the night to scrawl JACK DANIELS on a note - then reading it in the morning and having absolutely no freakin' idea how it may have related to a concept for the blog. JACK DANIELS?

Eeking poor Tony through all of the minutiae right along with me, which frankly, would make most people - lately - want to peel sticky-price-tags off of Christmas gifts all year long, rather than hang with me. I mean, comparing a food picture that is ostensibly, one centimeter different from the next picture - while it may be riveting for me - I suppose for Tony, it's akin to "Hey! Let's grab the Neti Pot for some nasal irrigation!" - ya know? But he nods and somehow tolerates all the newfound...creative brewery slash manic sleeplessness.

So, you do understand why I absolutely had to make the Clafoutis. AS IF I had a choice in it, please. Certain things fascinate me, then I become fascinated as to why they fascinate me - from there, I start to wonder why I'm always so intrigued by finding out the reason behind what fascinates us. At that point, I either cry uncontrollably or change medications.

By the way, this batter - is insane - I want to live in it. MEN, if you slather this batter all over your bodies - you will make sex slaves of your previously "Headache! On your own!" wives.






















Le Clafoutis de Fanny's Grand-Mere


Back to the matter, or batter (oh! so clever!) at hand - you must make this. You could make this with one paw tied behind your back. This is sort of a French baked pancake - but sweeter than what we recognize as 'pancake'. It can be served as breakfast, or as a dessert - with a dollop of vanilla yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream; syrup is not necessary at all. As suspected, the texture is dense, yet totally light - I can't really explain it properly, it was a new texture for me - and completely delicious. It does taste like a pancake - but the best dang pancake I've ever had. Toss in the blueberries - and we were in breakfast heaven this Sunday morning. And, don't forget to slather left-over batter all over your bodies.

3/4 c. + 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar, slightly heaping
pinch of salt
3 eggs
6 T butter, melted
8 oz. milk, full fat preferred (just don't use skim)
2 c. blueberries (cherries are the classic fruit used)

Preheat oven to 400F and generously butter an 11-inch tart pan.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Incorporate the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. When the batter is smooth, mix in the melted butter. Then, working slowly, gradually add the milk, mixing well, so no lumps form. If needed, you may strain the batter through a sieve for added smoothness.

Scatter blueberries into the prepared pan and gently pour the batter over the fruit. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown, but firm on top. It may still be slightly wobbly in the center, but a tester inserted in the middle should come out clean. Serves 10.






27 comments:

NV said...

OH MY GOD! Sounds deeeeeelicious.
You may make an attempted baker out of me yet.

Christine said...

wow. like a pancake you can eat any time... but better? unbelieveable! mmmm

Ann said...

NV - it is SO easy to make - and like a cross between a pancake and blueberry pie. A great breakfast, especially for guests!

Hey Christine - thanks for stopping by! :)

Anonymous said...

That looks so scrumptious! I too start thinking and thinking and thinking about certain foods. Right now it's bran muffins. I'm on a quest for the perfect recipe. :)


Ari (Baking and Books)

Ann said...

Hi Ari - thanks for stopping by! Glad I'm not the only one obsessing 'round here...

Q said...

I tried your so called "no more headache batter", but it did not work. Any suggestions?

Ann said...

Q - this does not sound correct - are you *quite* sure you followed the recipe to the letter? I have not heard of it failing, to date. Beyond that, wow....Vegas maybe??

Anonymous said...

YUM. This looks so easy, but so elegant too; great combination. I think I will try this next Sunday with blackberries. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen the movie Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell? In that movie, Goldie Hawn's character's husband (played by Edward Herrmann) got drunk and kept saying Toooofuuuuuutiiiii.
Every time I see clafoutis I have to say it that way. Claaaaafouuuuuuuutiiiiiii!

This one looks amazing and I'm trying it tomorrow, btw.

Ann said...

Shaye - I have seen that movie, now I'm going to think of it whenever I make clafoutis, lol! I do hope you like this one, we really enjoyed it. :)

Alice said...

Alright, you've inspired me to attempt to cook something which is incredibly hard to do.

Looks fantastic!

Ann said...

Alice - you'll have to let me know what you think - bc I think this little number is just DIVINE!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I think I will make for breakfast, dinner, AND dessert!

Anonymous said...

I have never tried clafoutis, but am really intrigued by its close relation to the pancake. Besides, it looks like blueberry pie, which is my favorite. So, can't thank you enough for bringing this one to me, because we never hear of it in the U.S.

Anonymous said...

Just found you via TS, so glad I did. Love this blog: the writing, the pics, the recipes.

I really want to try this, can you make it with any type of fruit? Have you tried others? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That looks mouthwatering good! I have never made a clafoutis but this picture and your description has inspired me to try, at least for the batter alone! (wink wink)

Anonymous said...

That looks mouthwatering good! I have never made a clafoutis but this picture and your description has inspired me to try, at least for the batter alone! (wink wink)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, if I were to ever slather myself in batter, it'd be this - All covered with bursting Blueberries.

Still think I'd rather go wild all over the finished article though.

:D

test it comm said...

That looks really good!

Ann said...

Larisa - Clafoutis is most traditionally made w/ cherries in France - so yes, you could virtually any fruit your heart desires!

Baking Blonde - enjoy that batter, wink wink!! :)

gkbloodsugar - lol, couldn't agree more.

Kevin - it is sublime, highly recommend it. :)

Brittany said...

Delicious looking clafoutis and hilarious post to go with it!

I think I'd like to dip my husband in clafoutis batter. He's a good sport ; )

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What a funny post, and the clafoutis looks perfect!

Anonymous said...

i have been wondering the exact same thing. i just happen to have some blueberries i picked up this weekend. looks like i'm supposed to be making a clafouti this week.

Anonymous said...

I made this. OMG. You are right. It is awesome. It is better after it cools though.
The custardy inside sets up so nicely!

I'm also going to try to make it with Splenda to see how it turns out. I'm not supposed to have sugar.

Thanks for the recipe!

Ann said...

Anon - wonderful!! Isn't it heavenly? Do let me know how it turns out w/ splenda - would love to hear!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just made this and it is absolutely great! My husband gave it a thumbs up even! Your site is great..I visit it often!

Ann said...

Kassy - How wonderful! I am so glad you loved this, bc we did too! :)